Find documents and materials related to conducting the survey.
NHS Staff Survey 2022
Last year a template communications toolkit was produced with a range of assets to support staff engagement, HR and comms colleagues in promoting the survey to their staff through their own internal communications and engagement channels.
Building on your positive feedback, the assets have been updated for 2022 and there are also some new additions. These include some assets aimed at bank only workers, who can take part in the survey for the first time this year through a tailored questionnaire.
The Introduction to the Comms Toolkit provides a list of all available assets. Posters, social media cards, email signatures and more are available in the Comms asset pack. In addition, check out these promotional videos which can be used to support your own engagement activities:
- Why we need to hear from all voices in the NHS Staff Survey – this short film (59 seconds) provides a call to action from Anton Emmanuel (our WRES lead) to encourage all our NHS people to take part in the survey.
- The People Promise Animation – this short animation (58 seconds) introduces the People Promise and its seven elements
- Why is the NHS Staff Survey Important? In this film (1:28) Michael West explains why the Survey is a vital tool for understanding and improving staff experience. Michael West – NHS Staff Survey – YouTube
- Encouraging bank only staff to take part in the NHS Staff Survey. In this film (0:49) Dan Collard explains that Bank only workers can now take part using a tailored version of the questionnaire. The film emphasises the vital role our bank only staff play.
- Rosie Redstone (Co-chair of the Disability and Wellbeing Network). This very short film (0:25) shows how the NHS Staff Survey helps make improvements for colleagues with disabilities. Rosie Redstone – NHS Staff Survey – YouTube
- Carly Wilson (People Promise Manager). This very short film (0:18) shows the value of the NHS Staff Survey and it’s alignment to the People Promise. Carly Wilson – NHS Staff Survey – YouTube
- Colleagues explain the importance of the NHS Staff Survey. In this film (0:33) three colleagues explain why the NHS Staff Survey is important to them. Colleagues explain why the NHS Staff Survey is important to them.
There are two versions of the 2022 NHS Staff Survey guidance, one for participating organisations and one for contractors.
There is also a summary of the key changes to the 2021 NHS Staff Survey results and a document to help participating organisations achieve a good survey response rate.
All participating organisations must use the core questionnaire provided and may optionally include additional local questions.
Organisations extending the survey to bank workers should use the bank version of the core questionnaire.
Email and letter templates
Download the covering emails and letters that must be used when contacting staff.
Analysis and reporting
For a brief overview of the survey and the reporting outputs available from the NHS Staff Survey 2021, please refer to the basic guide.
For help with interpreting outputs produced for 2021, please refer to the Technical Guide.
Useful case studies from participating organisations.
Pre-release access lists
For details of stakeholders who had 24-hour pre-release access to the NHS Staff Survey 2020 results please see the two pre-release access lists below.